Saturday, May 12, 2012

I went to one of my favorite thrift stores yesterday-- a green-awninged hole-in-the-wall in Ballard called "Thrift Store," and I was rewarded.  I found a ziplock baggie chock full of 2" charm squares-- perfect inspiration* for my next undertaking: a postage stamp quilt.  I had trouble deciding on the color of the background, so I think I'm going to do some of each.

*eternal Maddie distractor




The assortment included some really strange things... fish pieces, Groucho glasses, Hard Rock Cafe...?

Of course I couldn't help but supplement the collection with some of my favorite, precious fabrics from my collection (which I've been hoarding.)  There's the car print, which I bought when I visited Purl Soho in New York: the brand is "Kokka" I think.  Then the rice print, which is by Lotta Jansdotter, also purchased in NY.

In progress...

Here are a couple finished blocks, a little over a square foot each.  It's going to be sooo cute!

I could never have accomplished these blocks so cleanly if it wasn't for this very clear postage stamp quilt tutorial on the Red Pepper Quilts blog.  Thanks, to all you tutorial-maker extraordinaires out there!  Maybe someday I'll get my sh*t together and make some myself!

4 comments:

  1. I love those little squares & the idea of the postage stamp quilt.

    Your quilt that is almost inished looks really great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Renee!

      I'm a sucker for miniature scale things. :)

      Delete
  2. Those squares remind me of my grandmother's quilts, which you have seen....

    -Erik

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I just completed a quilt today that is kind of like your grandmother's patchwork quilts, too.

      Delete