Friday, February 3, 2012

DNA HST Mini Quilt

Translation of title:
DNA = deoxyribonucleic acid. duh.
HST = half square triangle (you wouldn't know this unless you were a quilt nerd.)

My gramma gave me some fabrics for my birthday, and I wanted to immediately produce something with them, rather than the standard procedure of letting them languish on my shelf until I came up with the perfect scheme.

Half square triangles are easy quilt blocks to speed-piece, so I went ahead.  Then, having 4 different kinds of blocks, I wanted to arrange them according to some scheme, but I wanted it to look random.  I needed some kind of string of 4 different units, shuffled around in some way.  Hmmmm...  A, C, T, & G, perhaps?  (I had Daniel help me find a DNA strand that contained an equal number of each, for my purposes, so I wouldn't have to employ any corruption.)

Ok, I know this is silly and there's no significance to my using DNA code to order my quilt blocks.  However, I think it will be a cute hidden secret in the quilt!  Anyway... here goes.




1 comment:

  1. I think your eyes might get tired looking at that, Maddie...

    Chloe

    ReplyDelete