Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Lighting one quilt off the butt of the other



Inspired by the "passage quilts" I linked to a day or so ago, I finally broke ground on a project I had been meaning to get at for awhile: what to do with the clothes that were cut off of Daniel when he was in a bike accident last year...

It seemed like an important enough life event to warrant a "passage quilt" especially given that they handed me a plastic bag filled with scraps of cut-up clothing when I retrieved Daniel from Harborview.

My rat-brain kicked in.  I had to keep those scraps, and make something useful/meaningful/artful out of them.  Of course every time I looked at the contents of the bag until now, it just stressed me out.  Yesterday, I was inspired by the free-form spontaneity of the passage quilts; using large pieces of clothing and retaining some of their original structure.

Also, if you know me at all, you'll see that this is heavily influenced by some of the Gee's Bend quilts.
Mary Lee Bendolph (b. 1935). Blocks, strips, strings, and half squares. 2005. Cotton. 84 X 81 in.
http://www.tinwoodmedia.com/QAMARBEH030-64.html



No comments:

Post a Comment