Thursday, June 16, 2011

Diaper Prototype

When I was on Whidbey, Lucy and I talked about making cloth diapers for her babe-- so I decided to whip up a prototype today.

Here is what it would look like on a baby... if the baby was a tattooed bunny stuffed animal.  (By the way-- Stacey made me this bunny!)

Outside view...

Inside view...

Really really inside view...  (I can't help but make asinine faces in front of a camera.)

As you might have guessed, I'm feeling lazy today so I didn't feel like using an actual camera and took all these photos in Photobooth.  If you can decipher the drawing below, it illustrates basically how the diaper was made.  A is the main red fabric, B is the patterned fabric, sewn on top of A, and C is the white quilt batting you stick between the two layers.  I made it so it's removable for easier and more thorough washability.

I got the pattern idea from this website: http://www.diapersewing.com/quick-and-easy-fitted.htm

It was SO fast to make!  I still have to figure out a fastening technique, but a safety pin would surely work.  Or velcro, or snaps.  Anyway... I guess I'm on a kick.  Cotton menstrual pads, cloth diapers-- why make waste when you can quickly and easily make reusable stuff that is also WAY cooler to look at?  Maybe this is TMI but I get a big kick out of looking in my underpants and finding brightly colored fabric instead of a cheap white plastic pad!

No comments:

Post a Comment