Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Blah Dress for a Blah week for a Blaaaahg entry!

I don't know why I feel BLAH, but that seems to be the theme of this week.  Just driftin' along.  Strange, because I've actually been busy with fun things:  Addie's birthday dinner, seeing Dessa perform at Nectar, riding my new bicycle all over town (YAY!!!)

Anyway, at my house (The Pod) we have a giant bag of crap on the front porch, which is fun to occasionally dig through, hunting for treasure.  It's good grist for the Maddie-mill.  I used a crap-heap shirt and an old bedsheet to make a distinctly school-marmy dress, and then tried to make it a little younger by adorning it with a belt I had begun to make.... oh, two years ago?  It takes me a long time to finish projects.

So, first I took the shirt from the crap heap and cut it to waist length and then sewed some darts.  The photo is post-crop, pre-dart.




 then I got "in the zone" and stopped taking photos, and ultimately wound up with this dress:


I pinned pleats for the jersey bedsheet skirt, and attached it to the top painstakingly, pleat by pleat, all the while thinking "This is going to be a huge bag when I put it on.  It was, so I finished that elastic hipster belt, and used it to magically make a waist in a shapeless, blah dress.




And here's the belt, which I like best of all, so it gets disproportionate face time:






Oooh yeah, baby!



I think I'll eventually sew some elastic strips into the giant skirt, to make it a little more scrunchy and interesting.  If it turns out well, maybe I'll post an update.  Hell, if it turns out horrendously ugly, maybe I'll post an update!

Here are some pictures of things in my room:

The great Boob in the sky
Home away from home

No comments:

Post a Comment